Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Worst Fear

Earlier today I was reading an e-mail my sister Jen sent me. It was about how the legislature in CA had voted to make May 22 "Gay day" in CA schools. They will do activities and teach children about the gay life style.
I began to think about this. I think it is kind of funny how priorities change when you get married. Before I was married my worst fear was where I was going to get the money to make my next payment, or buy groceries, and stuff like that. But now I begin to wonder and worry about what my children are going to have to deal with.
I see sometime in our future the world we live in is going to be so bad that we will not want to send our children to school, but will want to teach them at home. This is my greatest fear. That I will not have the knowledge I need to be able to teach them what they need to know to be productive in society. I hope that I do, and know that if it comes down to that I will be equal to the task, but it still scares me.

4 comments:

Our Biggs Family said...

The cool thing about the gospel of Jesus Christ is that we are told we don't need to fear if we are prepared. I am not scared of what my children will be taught in school; however, I am disgusted by what they will encounter. However, I don't think homeschooling is the answer either because there will still come a time in their life when I will not be there and they will be faced with these issues being taught to them and thrown at them. THe answer is to teach them at home the gospel of Jesus Christ very bluntly and straight forward. We have to teach them so they will be able to stand strong against the adversary's attacks. They need to be able to defend their beliefs to those that challenge them. Yes, it is happening at much too young of an age. I never remember mom and dad having to explicitly teach me that marriage is only between a man and a woman regardless of what we may hear. However, we have already had to teach Spring this before she turned 4! We have had multiple FHE lessons centered on the proclamation. Our kids know that there is a very important amendment we are trying to get passed to make sure this definition of marriage is restored. Yes, it is at a young age but we want to teach them the right way.

We are doing all we can to support this proposition and we hope and pray it passes. But, regardless of what happens in November this will not be the last time it is brought up. The real comfort comes in knowing that we have been promised that we don't need to fear if we are prepared and so we just need to prepare our children from a very young age. We need our children to be able to recognize the promptings of the Holy Ghost and to be able to discern between the good and bad. We need to have a relationship where they will come to us when they hear something at school that doesn't seem right. It is not easy but we have so many blessings from the teachings of the gospel that help us teach and prepare our children. It is just different how we have to face issues with them at such a young and tender age. That is the sadness of it all.

You will be able to do all you need to provide for your children. We have been taught the pattern from not only our parents but from our Father in Heaven. It is work, but there is nothing I would rather be asked to do than to teach our precious children so they are prepared and have a strong desire to live worthy to inherit eternal life.

Anonymous said...

I don't know that public schools will get that bad. As long as parents teach their kids at home and communicate with each other then the schools won't be a bad thing in their life. I really think that people who homeschool are just sheltering their kids but there will come a time that they will be faced with it. The problem comes when everything the kids learn is comeing from school because they don't go home and talk about what they learned and what they are facing. That's sad for me to see.
I love that we have the gospel in our lives though! I don't know wht I would do without that in my life.

Janelle said...

Having "Gay Day" makes about as much sense as having "Heterosexual Day" or "Asexual Day"...Since being "Gay" is really about a bedroom behavior. I mean, why do we need to know what people do in their bedrooms? I'm not sure why Gays think that their choice in bed partners makes them some sort of "race" of people who need special privileges? It really makes no sense! Anyway...Glad to see you posting on your blog again! Hope all is well with you!

Anonymous said...

Your fears are very normal. I know when you kids were all younger I worried that we had taught you all the things that you needed to make it in the world. I think the key is to keep communication between you and your children as well as starting young to teach them what you want them to know. It's also important that both Mom and Dad are on the same page so kids can't use parents aganst each other. The church is such a huge help with raising a family. I really feel for those who don't have the gospel in their lives to help raise their children. We are blessed to have a prophet who gives us council and help. You'll both be great parents when the time comes.
MOM