Monday, August 9, 2010

Arches National Park

Saturday Aug.7,2010 we woke up after having a good nights sleep in a motel in green river. Green River is the city that produces Green River Watermelons. Anyway, we went to breakfast and got on our way to Arches National Park. I think it was about 11/2 hours from Green River. The Park was beautiful. The first arch we went to see was Delicate Arch. It is the most famouse of the Arches in the park. In fact it is the Arch on the centenial licence plate. You have to take a hike that is about 3 miles round trip. Over half of the hike is on slick rock. While on this hike Matt and I found some quartze rock. Matt made it about a half mile and had to stop. He wasn't feeling very well, but I made it all the way up.


The first part of the hike you walk by a small settlement started by the Wolfe family in the 1800's, there are two small homes and a horse padock. I only got a video of one of the homes and the padock.
A little further up the trail were some more pictoglyphs.

Then We went a little further up the road to skyline arch. The hole in this arch used to be much smaller, but a few years ago a big boulder fell out of it and made it larger.
After this we drove to Devils garden and had lunch, then we decided to go into Moab to look around, and then find a camping spot for the night. Just as we found our spot it started to rain. It rained for about 2-3 hours then stopped. Then about 11:00p.m. it started raining again. I ended up getting a dizzy spell this night, but thankfully I had my meds with me. By the time morning came it had stopped raining and the sky was a beautiful blue. I got up, and was still dizzy, but I was determined that we were going to go back into the park for a while. We were camped next to the Colorado River and Matt wanted to do some fishing. We got camp cleaned up and he went fishing for 20 min. He caught some golden cat fish so I decided I wanted to catch some.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I went to Moab once. I loved it and have always wanted to go again. I vote we have the next family reunion there!

garysharon said...

What a beautiful place. I have never been there but would love to go there some day. Looks like you had a fun time hiking and fiahing. Mom